Port Alberni man sentenced to 22 years for sexual offences
Port Alberni RCMP began investigating the historical sexual offences in 2020. Shaun Pater was sentenced Aug. 11 to 22 years in custody after being convicted of four sexual offences. (RCMP)
A Port Alberni man has been sentenced to 22 years in custody after being convicted of four sexual offences.
Shaun Pater was sentenced Aug. 11 following what RCMP described as a lengthy investigation into historical offences that occurred over several years.
Pater was convicted of one count of sexual interference involving a person under 14, two counts of sexual interference involving people under 16, and one count of sexual assault.
The case grew out of an investigation launched by the Port Alberni RCMP General Investigation Section in 2020.
Charges were first announced publicly in January 2025, when RCMP said Pater and two other Port Alberni men had been charged following the investigation.
At that time, Pater faced 15 charges related to alleged sexual offences involving minors, including an allegation of trafficking a person under 18.
The RCMP's latest release identifies four offences for which Pater was convicted but does not explain the disposition of the remaining charges originally laid against him.
Insp. Kim Bruce praised investigators for their care and professionalism in handling the case, while RCMP also acknowledged the courage of the victims and witnesses who participated in the investigation and court process.
A court-ordered publication ban remains in effect. It prohibits publication of information that could identify protected victims or witnesses in the case.
The B.C. government says a new plan for managing forests across the Kootenay Lake region will include clear, measurable outcomes for old forests, biodiversity, wildlife habitat and watersheds, while acknowledging that some parts of the landscape rely on younger forests aging into old-forest conditions to meet existing targets.